Saturday, October 13, 2007

VFP 9 SP 2

As you've likely heard by now, Visual FoxPro 9 Service Pack 2 was released this week. Like Rick Schummer, I never install updates for anything just before a conference, so with Southwest Fox 2007 starting next week, I'm not going to install it on my laptop. However, I did install it on my home system. I followed the advice Colin Nicholls posted on Rick's blog and the Universal Thread and completely uninstalled VFP 9 first, then installed VFP 9 RTM (i.e. not SP1), then installed SP2; this ensures that all FFC classes are properly patched.

One other thing I did was to delete the Microsoft Visual FoxPro 9 folder from my Windows Vista Virtual Store (C:\Users\\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Microsoft Visual FoxPro 9). Thanks to virtualization, anytime you write to a file in a protected folder, Windows writes it to the Virtual Store instead. The next time you open that file, you get the virtualized copy rather than the original. So, if you opened a class in the FFC folder of the VFP home directory (assuming you installed it under the default Program Files), it's likely the VCX file was virtualized. That means any references to it will see the older, pre-SP2, virtualized copy rather than the new SP2 version. Nuking that folder takes care of that problem.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Regarding Virtualisation: I never installed FoxPro into the designated "program files\bla\bla\" folder jungle. Since day 1 I always had d:\foxpro\ and then one folder for each major version, so VFP9 ends up at d:\foxpro\vfp9\, besides of all other Foxpro versions since FoxBase.
That way all my development tools are unaffected by any OS-changes, as well as any "virtualisation" or read-only problems.

If I change or reinstall the OS, then I just reregister the various VFP EXEs with the "/regserver" commandline switch and all is good...

wOOdy